You can perform this stretch any time you are sitting down – perfect if you work in an office environment. It stretches the muscles around your hip and can help ease low back pain.
1. Sit upright and place your right leg over your left thigh.
2. Gently lean forwards until you can feel a stretch in your right buttock.
3. You may be able to increase the stretching sensation by pushing down on your right knee.
4. Hold this position for 10 seconds.
5. Repeat on the other side.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 two more times. Perform twice a day.
– Keep breathing normally while you stretch. Do not hold your breath.
– Stretch gently and slowly. You should be able to feel a stretching sensation but it should not hurt.
– If a stretch becomes painful, stop immediately and seek advice from your therapist.
– Only perform stretches which have been prescribed or approved by a qualified individual such as your GP, physiotherapist or osteopath.