This is one of my favourite stretches. It is very easy to do, very gentle and effective for many types of back pain.
1. Lay flat with your knees straight.
2. Bend both knees and draw them up towards your chest.
3. Clasp your hands round the top of your shin, just below your knees. If your knees are tender, you can clasp underneath the knees.
4. Take a deep breath in. On the out breath, hug your knee firmly into your chest and hold for 10 seconds.
5. Release the knees, straighten the leg and relax.
6. Perform this sequence 3 times, once a day.
– Keep breathing normally while you stretch. Do not hold your breath.
– Stretch gently and slowly. You should be able to feel a stretching sensation but it should not hurt.
– If a stretch becomes painful, stop immediately and seek advice from your therapist.
– Only perform stretches which have been prescribed or approved by a qualified individual such as your GP, physiotherapist or osteopath.