This exercise is great for relaxing the shoulder muscles. It is pretty gentle but effective for improving mobility and reducing pain around the shoulder.
1. Stand upright next to a wall.
2. Let your arm hang straight down by your side.
3. Push your arm against the wall with about 20% of your strength.
4. Hold for 10 seconds and then relax. Repeat 3 times.
5. Repeat facing the wall and facing away from the wall i.e. pushing your arm forwards and backwards.
Repeat for 3 times in each direction.
Perform three times a day.
– Keep breathing normally while you stretch. Do not hold your breath.
– Stretch gently and slowly. You should be able to feel a stretching sensation but it should not hurt.
– If a stretch becomes painful, stop immediately and seek advice from your therapist.
– Only perform stretches which have been prescribed or approved by a qualified individual such as your GP, physiotherapist or osteopath.