Let’s have a closer look at the problem.
Sitting for long periods causes a variety of issues including:
– Reduced venous return from legs.
– Reduced arterial supply to legs.
– Tension in hip flexor muscles and weaker gluteal muscle,which may contribute to low back pain.
– Weakened abdominal muscles, which may contribute to low back pain.
– Forward head posture, rounded shoulders, tension in upper limb, which may lead to neck, shoulder and arm pain.
– Slower digestion leading to constipation
– Reduced concentration
– Increased risk of heart disease
– Increased risk of obesity.
Sitting is not inherently a terrible thing to do. Sitting for long, uninterrupted periods IS bad though and should be avoided where possible. Try these easy tips:
– Move often. Get up every 45 minutes or so, use a standing desk if possible, go for a walk in your lunch break.
If you’re suffering with neck or back pain, Osteopathy could help you. Find out more with a free consultation. Book yours by calling 020 8520 5268.