How long do you spend at your desk in one go? One or two hours? All day? And how about after work – do you spend the evening relaxing on the sofa?
Public Health England recommend a minimum of 2 hours standing during working hours through a combination of sitstand desks, standing based work, and regular walk-abouts.
Here’s how I remember to take my breaks. Hopefully these suggestions will help you too.
- Set an alarm on your phone. Basic, but it works!
- Schedule breaks in your calendar, and set a notification.
- Try a browser plug in/extension. (Chrome: Gimme a Break, eyeCare, Timer, more. Firefox: StretchClock, SimpleTimer, Take a Break.)
- Work according to the Pomodoro Technique.
- Get up to make your own tea or coffee instead of letting someone else bring it to you.
- Leave the office during your lunch break.
- Listen to an album or podcast and have a break when it finishes.
- Hold standing meetings.
- Stick a colourful dot next to your screen. Every time you notice it, stand up or stretch.
- Notice your posture. If you’re slouching or resting your chin in your hand, it’s time for a break.
Hopefully you can use at least a couple of those suggestions. Which one will you try first? Do you have any other tips – let me know in the comments.