This is a very gentle exercise, suitable for the early, painful stages of a shoulder problem. I often use it with my Frozen Shoulder patients but it’s useful for many other conditions.
1. Sit or stand with good posture.
2. Shrug your shoulders up towards your ears. Go as high as you can. Take this movement nice and slowly, especially if you have neck problems.
3. Hold for 8 seconds.
4. Let your shoulders drop down, then squeeze your shoulders down towards the floor
Repeat 3 times. Perform three times a day.
– Keep breathing normally while you stretch. Do not hold your breath.
– Stretch gently and slowly. You should be able to feel a stretching sensation but it should not hurt.
– If a stretch becomes painful, stop immediately and seek advice from your therapist.
– Only perform stretches which have been prescribed or approved by a qualified individual such as your GP, physiotherapist or osteopath.
If you suffer with shoulder pain, osteopathy could help. Call me on 020 8520 5268 to find out more.