While there is no substitute for professional treatment, there are lots of things you can do at home to speed up the recovery process.
Alongside stretching & exercise, good posture, a balanced diet and sufficient sleep, self treatment is a really useful tool!
This technique is fabulous for anyone with a tight, stiff neck.
1. Lyie down somewhere comfortable. Rest your head on a small pillow or folded towel.
2. Ask your friend to kneel behind you and place their hands softly on the back of your neck. See the image above for reference.
3. They should gently cup the base of your head in their hands and use their finger tips to press into the muscles at the top of your neck.
4. Rest in this position for 30 seconds or so. It may feel a little sore at first, but keep your head nice and relaxed and the discomfort will slowly fade away.
STOP if you feel nauseous or dizzy. Do not allow your head and neck to tip backwards during this technique.
– Keep breathing normally while you stretch. Do not hold your breath.
– Stretch gently and slowly. You should be able to feel a stretching sensation but it should not hurt.
– If a stretch becomes painful, stop immediately and seek advice from your therapist.
– Only perform stretches which have been prescribed or approved by a qualified individual such as your GP, physiotherapist or osteopath.
If you’re suffering with neck pain, consider seeing an Osteopath. Call 020 8520 5268 to make an appointment.